Question: How can prescribers satisfy requirements for reporting serious adverse drug reactions (SADR)?
Context: In a separate post, we describe how to report a patient safety event. Safety threats that specifically relate to serious adverse drug reactions are subject to federal (Health Canada) reporting requirements and so have unique supports within Connect Care.
To be "serious", an adverse drug reaction should cause or potentially cause a:
- hospitalization or prolongation of an existing hospitalization
- congenital malformation
- persistent or significant disability of incapacity
- life threatening situation or death
- The impact of the adverse drug reaction on the patient's health.
- Any comorbidities which may have affected the impact of the adverse drug reaction.
- The date on which health was restored (if applicable).